Measured by the number of students, Monash University in Melbourne is the largest university in Australia. This public university has 56,000 students and 15,000 staff and is named after Sir John Monash. Established by Act of Parliament in 1958, it was the first university established in the state of Victoria in more than 100 years.
Monash University has a total of 8 campuses. The original campus was in Clayton, which first accepted 363 pioneer students in 1961. The 100 acres of land on which this campus stood were originally used for various purposes, such as the Talbot Epileptic Colony. From its humble beginnings in mudfields and a library in a derelict Volkswagen factory, the Clayton campus has improved in size and student population and is now the largest of all 8 Monash campuses.
Monash University Caulfield’s campus was originally Caulfield Technical School in 1922, which offered procedural courses such as carpentry to local residents. In the 1970s, what was once a small technical school became the Caulfield Institute of Technology. From the technical courses in blacksmith, carpenter and wheelwright, the institute then offered diploma courses and courses in computer science, economics, applied sciences, engineering, mathematics and psychology. In 1982 the institute merged with the State College of Victoria (Frankston) to form the Chisholm Institute of Technology. Chisholm then merged with Monash in 1990, making it the Caulfield campus of Monash University.
Once a Frankston Teachers College, Monash’s Peninsula campus is in the south-east suburb of Melbourne. It was Chisholm Institute’s Frankston campus that merged with Monash on July 1, 1990. Today, this peninsula campus offers over 3000 students a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses (e.g. ambulance and medical studies, business, IT and nursing).
The Gippsland campus was a technical school for SEC (State Electricity Commission) employees in 1926. In 1968 it became Yallourn Technical College. It formally became part of Monash University in 1991 and has since grown into today’s provider of higher education to local national and international students.
As early as 1881, the School of Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria provided training and development for professionals in the field of pharmacy. After 76 years on Swanston Street, what was then the Victorian College of Pharmacy moved to Parkville in 1960. In 1992 it merged with Monash University and in August 2008 was renamed the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences for Monash University’s Parkville campus.
The Berwick campus is one of Monash’s newest campuses and was built on the old Casey Airfield, which houses 2000 students. The first building was completed in 1996, the second in 1999 and the third in 2004.
The Malaysian Ministry of Education invited Monash along with the Sunway Group on February 23, 1998 to set up its campus in Malaysia. That same year, Monash’s first offshore campus outside of Australia was built and hosted its first 261 students.
The Monash South Africa is the second offshore campus that opened in 2001 with 2 buildings and academically attracts many students from more than 25 countries.
Thanks to W Tsang | #Campuses #Monash #University