How to Appeal A Property Tax Assessment

By | June 3, 2022

If you think the appraised value of your home is more than what you can sell your home for, then it is in your best interest to dispute the value. The first thing you need to understand is that property taxes are one of the largest sources of revenue for your community, county, and state government. Tax assessments consist of two components, they include: the value of your property and also your home. The Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Management Code mandate the Valuation Department to conduct a reassessment of each parcel every six years, or to conduct an update every three years if improvements have been made to the dwelling based on building permits issued for your property. Understanding how to contest the appraised value of your home is critical to winning your appeal. You have to consider many factors to determine the fair value of your home. The inspector will look at the square footage, age of your home, square footage, recent improvements, outbuildings, decks or patios, and/or other areas of your property that have value.

To appeal your property tax assessment, you should contact your local chartered accountant to file a formal appeal against the appraised value of your property. You should first obtain a copy of the property card from your local charter office. The property card should contain the information that will be used to determine the appraised value of your home, including: square footage, lot size, bedrooms, bathrooms, finished basement, etc. If this information contains any inaccuracies, you should write to your accounting firm to notify the error. You should also contact your local accounting firm to fill out a complaint form, or you can file a complaint electronically on their website. Electronic filing provides homeowners with easy access to complete and submit a tax department form, which is a complaint against online real estate appraisal, eliminating the need for a signature and notary public seal. Many of Ohio’s county auditors only accept appeals against real estate appraisals for the first three months of the year. If you recently bought your home, you should provide the auditor with a copy of your bill of sale and a copy of your HUD statement or closing statement as proof of your property’s value. If you have owned your home for more than a year, it is in your best interest to contact a licensed appraiser to have your home appraised and appraised. In addition to the appraisal, it would be beneficial to provide a list of recently sold homes in your area that are similar to your own in terms of age, square footage, amenities, and lot size. You should provide as much information and documentation as possible when disputing your property taxes. When referring to your property, use your parcel number and address. You can find this in your tax assessment. The more information you provide to the examiner, the more likely it is that your appraisal will be lowered. However, be careful as the auditor may use the information you provide to increase or decrease the overall value of a package included in a complaint.

Thanks to Michael Zuren PhD. | #Appeal #Property #Tax #Assessment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *